“A recipe has no soul. You, as the cook, must bring soul to the recipe.” – Thomas Keller, Sophisticated Gourmet
The same can be said for your content and business … in fact:
“Content has no soul. You, as the business owner and content writing pro, must bring soul to the content!” – Elizabeth Campbell, The Word Stylist
What is soul?
Oxford Dictionary defines it as: Emotional or intellectual energy or intensity, especially as revealed in a work of art or an artistic performance.
But what does soul look like in your content?
Soul in your content feels:
- All the things!
It makes people feel inspired, motivated and encouraged. It moves people. It drives them. It stirs something up inside that makes them want to take some form of action – sharing, commenting, talking about it to their friends, clicking, signing up and so on.
Soul in your content looks like this:
- “Why” and “How” stories
- Statistics and facts
- Case studies
- Your values
- What you stand for in business and as a person
But, sadly, having soul in your content is not enough.
You also need strategy and structure at a minimum to see the kind of results you truly desire.
I know how disheartening it can be to spend so much time on your content only for it to sit there on the page doing nothing, getting no results and leaving you scratching your head thinking, “What did I do wrong?!”.
Once I created what I thought was the best ever blog and turned it into a workshop, it had a great name (or so I thought), it spoke to my audience and ideal clientele (or so I thought) and it was going to get me the best results my business had ever achieved (or so I thought)!
And you know what happened?
Nothing. Nothing happened. The hordes of people I wanted to sign up didn’t despite my best promotion efforts, they didn’t engage much in the workshop (even though I was doing all the right things) and they didn’t buy much (I did have some sales success but nothing that I was hoping for!).
I felt deflated – what had I done wrong?
I’ll tell you. I didn’t create the right type of content that my audience needed at the right time of their content journey. It went over their heads. It was too advanced.
So here’s how you make sure that doesn’t happen to you.
There are a set of strategies and frameworks to follow if you want to write content like a pro and get the kind of results the key people of influence are getting in their businesses.
The only difference between you and them is the recipe for content writing success.
DID YOU KNOW: Dragon Search Marketing reports “61% of consumers are influenced by custom content.”
Custom content is the original content you create – blogs, images, social posts, videos and so on) – and it relies on you knowing my 7 content writing strategies to success.
If you’d like my 7 strategies to writing content that gets you more of all the good stuff to grow your business … leads, clients, repeat business, speaking, media, podcast interviews and amazing partnerships… keep reading!
Each one of these strategies helps you to overcome the biggest problems all business owners, coaches, entrepreneurs and course creators have …
- Time poor
- No leads (or very limited lead numbers)
- No proper strategies in place to ensure a constant flow of leads, prospects and new clients.
- Terrible or non-existent online presence or one you think can be improved
- Can’t write due to the lack of skills to write quality content
- Don’t know what type of content to create
- Not getting enough sales from your content to make it a worthwhile activity
7 strategies to content writing success:
- Content basics: Target market, Wow Words™, topics, personal style and content messages and catchphrases. These are the areas most business owners think they have done, but haven’t done with content in mind. It’s your first strategy.
- Content funnel: The second strategy is knowing each step of your customer’s journey with you and the next logical steps they can take if they feel compelled. This is more than your sales or product funnel – it is knowing what type of content to put out for every person you come in contact with so it’s not too advanced (or simple) for them. It’s the content journey they go on with you. Huge money step – and it’s not even that hard!
“Liz, I just sold two more $7500 packages this afternoon after your Content Funnel Strategy Session and using the content strategies you gave me!” – Pip, Sydney.
- Content plans: They say the fortune is in the follow-up – and it is. But do you have a plan for that? The fortune starts with a plan. One for your daily content, weekly content, monthly, quarterly and annual content and the promotion of that content. This is the third strategy and one many business owners skip because of the time that you need to put in at the beginning.
There are three main plans you need:
- 12-month content plan (broken into 3-monthly increments)
- Monthly plan that takes in your social media, blog, videos, podcast, new release download content – whatever you do regularly.
- Promotion plan – what you are planning to do to get your leads and sales.
- Website/landing pages: Your fourth strategy. When was the last time you updated your website? Do you even have a website. Do feel bad that you don’t have one or haven’t updated it, not many business owners do. It’s a time factor. But we must think of our websites like our shopfronts because, in an online world where your business might be virtual (or at least has a virtual presence), it’s the first impression people get of you. Just having social media is not enough.
Next question, do you use landing pages? Depending on where you are in your own content journey, you may not use them yet. I didn’t use them to start with, however, if you want to fast track your online success, landing pages are it. Please note, they are used in conjunction with a website, not in place of a website.
Landing pages (AKA sales pages, squeeze pages, information pages) have one rule: They have one subject, one topic, one theme, one call to action, one product for sale or to sign up to. Their job is to be laser-focused. Unlike a website which is your hub of credibility and information so people can get to know you.
- Blog/social: Here is your fifth strategy, your social media and blogs. If you think blogs are dead. I only have two words for you. They’re not! I literally almost fell off my chair when a client said this to me recently! Thankfully, she was forgiven for being uneducated (that’s my job!).
I found these statistics from Bluelist and I absolutely had to share them with you:
Amazing Blogging Stats (Editor’s Choice)
· Companies who blog receive 97% more links to their website. Blogs increase website traffic by up to 6x.
· Using images in blog posts get 94% more views.
· 57% of marketers say they’ve gained customers specifically through blogging.
· B2B marketers who use blogs receive 67% more leads compared to those who don’t.
· 80% of B2B marketers use blogs as a content marketing tactic.
Now, would you like to get blogging!
Social media is an engagement, lead generating and promotion tool. We use it to promote our lead magnets and blogs and also to share our knowledge of content writing to build authority. We use it for relationship building by replying to comments and growing each platform with the right audience.
MONEY MAKER: The one asset you can’t afford not to have is a crafted professional promotion post that can be used on social, blog, website, email, newsletter and other avenues. It’s a staple in your content strategy.
- Emails and lead magnets: One of my favourite content strategies, because this one guarantees a stream of people who want to know more about you and your business, your offering and your solutions.
I love waking up in the morning to people from all over the world pinging into my inbox as a new ECVIP List members or a new customer or client inquiry. It’s so exciting knowing this is happening as you sleep and something I have always strived for since starting my business 6 years ago.
However, I have to stress, your lead magnet (I love writing PDF downloads, they are the easiest to get together) will not work (or will be very restricted in getting you the results you desire) if you don’t have a few things in place first:
🖖 You need to know your audience and what they want from you.
🖖 You must understand your topic and theme, and write it in a way your audience understands.
🖖 You have to know the next logical steps for people to take once they download your “lead magnet”.
🖖 It has to be planned and have a strategy.
🖖 You need a landing page.
🖖 You need a promotion strategy and posts for social media.
And you need an email series to help people understand more about how you can help them and how to get the most out of the “lead magnet” you have created.
Seems like a lot, but once you have the strategy and structures, you can create your digital assets quickly for a fraction of the price you would pay a marketing agency to do it for you. This is the sixth strategy.
- Sales: Your final strategy. One problem I find business owners have is they get a whole heap of leads, or have a winning online presence and it all looks very successful, but they are not able to turn their leads into sales or new clients.
I’ve had to get good at sales and getting sales from my content too. It’s not something I grew up knowing or happened to be good at when I started in my business. As a journalist, we share the news, we don’t sell ads!
However, when you’re in business, you need the sales to survive! And you need to figure out what works for you and sometimes you need to have the “dreaded” sales conversation.
There are plenty of people creating content and upgrading the content they write regularly to make more revenue in their business – and I’m so thankful to have the skills to do this successfully too.
Have a think about how you can take the content you have already created and turn it into a book, course, workshop, paid digital products, online programs and other digital assets that can make money for you while you sleep.
The real recipe for success:
- Give everything you’ve got.
- Do it daily.
So are you ready to create the right type of content that speaks directly to your audience, educates them and helps them take inspired action? Content that will help you boost your business with more leads, clients and opportunities?
FINAL FACT: Content marketing costs 62% less than traditional marketing and generates about 3 times as many leads. (Source: DemandMetric)
Content Writing Success LIVE online workshop
If your content is not working to get you the results you desire, for example:
– people signing up for your products and services
– messaging you through your social media channels
– acquiring new clients and repeat business.
It’s time for CHANGE!
If you just gave a nod or jumped up screaming YES, then my Content Writing Success LIVE online workshop is a must for you.
In this 3-hour workshop, I’ll be sharing my proven 5-step Content Writing Success framework and 25 other money-making tips you can implement straight away to get more leads and clients from your content in less than 1 week.
You will also receive a copy of my book Wow Words on the Web and access to my Personal Go-To Promotion Strategy List that we use to get more sales, new clients and repeat business (it always works!).
Get your free bonuses and book your seat (limited numbers accepted) today here: