BLOGGING TIP: Every word stylist needs a blog because each of you has WOW words worth sharing with the world.
And you will be surprised what people want to know about you.
The blog that has gained the most traction for me recently was about how I almost let $10,000 walk out the door. I’d had a lot of personal issues going on in that point of my life, which had started to affect my business.
You’d be surprised how quickly things can get out of hand when your head is not in the game. I’m sure you already know.
When I asked people why they had liked it, many said the header grabbed their attention because of the monetary value attached to it and that I had shared some personal information they deemed sincere and sensitive.
I was just writing from the heart. If I was struggling, then maybe others were too.
Blogs can be about anyone and anything, but mostly businesses use them to convey a personal side to their brand and company, share important information and keep their customers up-to-date with their happenings.
This is really what your customers want to see. They want to know the real you, the face behind the business and brand, on a more personal level. That doesn’t mean constantly sharing your innermost thoughts – only if you want to and if it’s appropriate – it’s about being human and personable. People buy from people, remember.
Essentially, blogging just means giving a little bit more of you. So just be you.
Benefits of blogging
What are the benefits of giving a little bit more of you?
- You can connect with your target market and audience on a more personal level.
- It can help build your brand.
- It can help you become an expert in your industry.
- You can share valuable information with your target market.
- Blogs are pretty easy to write – you just have to write down your thoughts, feelings or opinions.
- A blog can boost traffic and organic search rankings because it’s regular fresh content.
- It can link to social sites to give even more reach and scope.
- You could use it as your website.
- It gives you an influential edge over your competition.
Building your blogging empire
There is an art to writing a blog, which – if you’ve got this far – you should have a good idea by now. After all, you’ve already learned the most important aspects of writing for the web, and that goes for your blog too.
The same fundamental web writing rules apply when writing your blog. You have to:
- Start with a content plan and goals.
- Know your audience and tell them stories.
- Develop your personal writing style – professional and conversational works well.
- Write great content that adds value to your readers’ lives.
- Follow the inverted-pyramid structure.
- Have a basic understanding of on-page SEO and thread keywords through your content.
- Check your spelling and grammar and then have your content proofread.
- Post often. Be consistent and regular (ideally at least once a week).
- Watch what you say.
- Let your readers engage with you by being able to comment.
- Have fun!
I love that last point the most.
Want to learn how to blog and boost your biz? Here’s some more info on that.